Saturday, September 12, 2009

Vegetarian Fried Rice!

Hey sorry I've been gone for so long! Lots has happened in the past week-ish: I got a girlfriend, started my senior year, spent over $100 on 2 pairs of shoes, and most importantly tried a fried rice recipe! I got the recipe here but I changed a few things. I used Jasmine rice instead of Basmati, vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, no peas, and no ham steak obviously. I also didn't cook it in a wok, rather in my moms gigantic fry pan. I either added a bit too much vegetable stock (which can make it sticky) or my mom cooked the rice for too long. You're supposed to cook the rice until it's just a little bit crunchy, then cool it, then put it in the fry pan/wok. My mom cooked it till it was, as I say, gooshy. So, anyways, I cooked it and made my mom do about 5 to 500 taste tests (because I absolutely hate rice and refuse to eat it unless its chinese fried rice) before I would taste it myself. I finally had forced enough rice into my mother's mouth to satisfy my insane mind that it was edible. I stuck the fork in the rice, I brought the fork to my extremely large mouth, I took a bite. Bland, but not too bad. I was surprised at how little flavor it had, but then I realised I should probably have added a few things other than just eggs, salt, rice, and soy sauce. Even just a bit of duck sauce would have improved it. Next time I'm definately going to add onions, scallions, and beansprouts. Maybe I'll even add some shrimp. I think it was pretty good for my first try at cooking rice. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment